Old City God's Temple, Laochenghuangmiao in Chinese, is a major yet relatively inactive Taoist temple in Shanghai. It is located in the area south of Yan'an Road on the Fangbang Zhong Road.
During the Ming Dynasty, Zhangshouyue, the head of Shanghai County, dedicated a temple to the local city god. Since then, the City God's Temple had been destroyed several times and the current temple was built in 1926. During the the war of resistance against Japanese invasion during World War II, local merchants built a new City God's Temple in the Foreign Concession (between Lianyun Road and West Jinling Road).
That area is now a highrise residence building. The "former" temple is known as the Old City God's Temple. The Old City God's Temple and the enclose Yuyuan are not only famous tourist sites but also popular shopping attractions. There are boutiques, shops selling local specialties, as well as large jewelry stores, department stores and fabulous local snack restaurants to be found here.