Chen Family Temple is now the largest and best preserved and decorated ancient architecture existing in Guangdong Province and now the site of the Guangdong Folk Art Museum. It was designated as an important cultural relic under the State protection by the state Council in 1986.
This ancestral temple was built between 1890 and 1894 during the reign of Emperor Guangxu of the Qing dynasty.It was built with donations of the Chen family then spread in 72 counties in Guangdong province. The temple used to provide lodgings for candidates of the Chen family who came to Guangdong to prepare for imperial examinations in Guangzhou. Hence it was also called the Chen Clan Academy.
Occupying an area of 15,000 square meters, the temple, has a rectangular main building and comprises six courtyards, nine main halls, and nineteen buildings. With an architectural design of traditional Guangdong style, the temple is especially renowned for its beautiful decorations. In the temple, historical figures, legends, and scenes are represented in many art forms, including wood carving, brick carving, pottery carving, stone carving, lime carving, clay sculpture, ash sculpture, brass and cast iron, grotto, new year painting, and so on. These artistic and historical attributes make the temple an important attraction in Guangzhou.