Kaifu Temple, located out of the north door of Changsha, has a history of more than 1000 years. One of China's key Buddhist temples, the ancient Kaifu Temple has an arch-gate of three-arch type with seven pillars. It is surrounded by three-meter-high walls. Along the central axial alignment, lies the pond for freeing captive fish and other animals, green cout, fore ground, the Maitreya Hall, the Grand Hall of Magnificence and Treasure, and the Additional Hall. On both wings, there are chambers. On the east side, there is visiting room, monks' room, Moni house, and Crape Myrtle. On the west side, there is a preaching hall, Meditation Hall, and scripture chanting room. All the sections are linked by corridors, with an artistic style of the Ming and Qing architecture.
At the gate to a monastery, a horizontal plaque with the words “Ancient Kaifu Temple ”, were written by Chen Haipeng, a garrison commander of Fushan Town in the years called “Guangxu” of Qing Dynasty. Inside the gate to a monastery and along the central axis in the front and the back are: Captive animal’s free pond, oasis, front level ground, Maitreya Temple, Grand Palace and Pilu Temple. Two compartments are symmetric. In the east is guest hall, fast hall, Moni House and violet hall; in the west is a lecture hall, Zen hall, the hall of saying prayers to Buddha. The houses are all connected with the winding corridors, high and short, with special features of Ming and Qing Dynasties’ buildings.