Fuxi Temple (Fuxi miao), also called Taihao gong, is located in the western part of Qincheng, on Fuxi lu. The temple is a Ming dynasty (1368-1644) construction that, despite renovations in the Qing dynasty (1644-1911), still retains its basic Ming format. Today the temple grounds are still covered by many beautiful cypresses, some up to a thousand years old, and is a nice half day outing.
The temple was competed in 1490 during the reign of the emperor Hongzhi, and covers a total area of 6,000 square meters. It was originally designed to commemorate Fuxi, a legendary ancestor and emperor of the Chinese people, and is the largest of this kind in China. Following the route from the front gate in the south to the back gate in the north, there are numerous archways, temples, terraces and a grand Main Hall. Within the Main Hall is a representative statue of a semi naked Fuxi.
Every year on January 15th (alleged birthday of the emperor) and May 13th (apparent birthday of China's first dragon) by the Chinese traditional calendar, grand sacrificial ceremonies are held, which draw throngs of Chinese and foreigners to its door.